Monday, February 8, 2010

Tasting the Sabre Rainbow

Christian Slater: Have you ever tasted a rainbow? At Sabre, you will.









John Krasinski makes his Office directorial debut with the episode Sabre, which marks the beginning of the takeover by the Sabre Corporation (costarring Kathy Bates & Christian Slater).


Sabre had it's ups and downs. I liked the opening sequence with the box in which Michael assumed (which we all know makes an ass out of u & me) the contents belonged to the office for him to disburse as he saw fit. Having to repackage all of that was pretty funny.



Michael: Okay, everybody, listen up. I have some bad news. Due to circumstances beyond my control -
Dwight: Impulsivity and inattention to detail.
Michael: Hey, hey. I have opened a box, which should not have been opened...
Dwight: Terrible mistake.
Michael: And distributed things which should not have been distributed.
Dwight: Undistributable.
Pam: Well, maybe we can put the box back together.
Dwight: Impossible. He opened it like an ape.


We all knew that Michael would hate changes being made in the office; especially when it means he has less control. I loved that they had to stop his little talking head speech before he could say the word 'balls'.

Michael: There is a small part of me that is actually very excited about this new company. But 70 percent of me is water, and the other part, the real part, the part that has feelings and emotions and thoughts and makes decisions and, if I can be crass, makes babies, that part thinks that all of these changes suck ba-



Andy and Erin are so cute! I loved their little Sabre (Sah-bray) song. However, I don't know how long they can keep up this charade of not asking the other out first. It's mildly amusing, but I'm ready for that ship to sail. I'm hoping they'll hook up soon...maybe for the Jam baby episode!

Erin: I think when Andy finally asks me out he's going to try to top what he did with the drum line. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.
Andy: The ball's totally in Erin's court. After the whole drum line thing.



The daycare scenes with Jim and Pam were the best part of the episode for me. Walking in on someone peeing who happens to be the person interviewing you later totally seems like something that would happen to me! Too funny. And I loved how direct Pam was with the interviewer.

Pam: Is this because Jim walked in on you going to the bathroom?
Jim: What?
Jerry: Seriously? You told her?
Jim: Did it? It might have come up while we were waiting for you.
Jerry: And you - you thought that might have something to do with how the meeting is going?
Jim: No.
Pam: Maybe, because it doesn't seem to be going super well.
Jerry: Well, you didn't consider the fact that it might not be going super well just because it might not be going super well?
Pam: Nope. 'Cause we're really nice people but you don't seem to like us.
Jerry: I'm being perfectly pleasant. Did you ever consider that you might not be as charming as you think you are?

And I love episodes with David Wallace! He's such a refreshingly realistic and sensible character (usually). I liked that he had slipped into the lazy lifestyle of the unemployed. I remember that feeling all too well. However, I don't think he would have clung to Michael so much. That part was a little silly, but the depressing, let-yourself-go quality of his unemployment hit home (thankfully in a funny way). The invention of the "suck-it"? Not one of Wallace's better ideas. It was hilarious that Michael got creeped out by David. (Notice David waving goodbye to Michael in the picture below. Too funny!).

Michael: Well, that's not the David Wallace that I remember. [reverses out of driveway, Wallace follows him] That is some sort of weird creature that lives in David Wallace's house. Oh, my God. Alright. Just get me out of here.

It was also great to see Wallace's son again (we first saw him in season 3's, Cocktails). I loved the drumming!



So overall, not a bad episode. It was a mixture of bland and spicy, which I realize is an oxymoron, but that's my critique. Thanks for reading!

CayceAquaSheep

PS) I have had no time to write this week. So I apologize for the thrown-together quality of this review. I will improve as I go along and find my inner writer again.

1 comment:

Rickie, Domestic Goddess said...

I agree with just about everything you said. I love Andy and Erin, but the definitely need to go on a date now..They'll be so cute together...I loved Kathy Bates, too. She and Dwight are apparently alike. She liked him. But where he is in your face, she is a little sugah and spice...her stares were great..haha. Really got her points across. Plus, you could really tell that the guy she sent down there to get the office up to speed is afraid of her;-)