Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Survivor Man" Review

All play and no work makes Survivor Man a dull episode.

Okay, so it wasn't THAT dull (it's The Office; it's never bad), but it was certainly my least favorite of the season. Too much time was spent with Michael out in the wilderness and not enough on the good birthday fun going on inside the office.

The episode did have its moments, though.



For starters, I enjoyed Dwight's hidden weaponry. All that stuff was great.

Dwight: People say, "Oh, it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home or the work place." Well I say, "It's better to be hurt by someone you know accidentally, than by a stranger on purpose."







And all the birthday stuff with Jim was fun, too. I loved that Pam was having fun with the idea of Jim being assertive and "shaking things up a bit." Too cute.

Jim's notion of having a communal birthday party didn't even sound like a good idea to me. I was definitely on the side of the other employees. Anything to get me out of actually having to do work.

Kevin: Yeah, I work hard all day. I like knowing that there's going to be a break. Most days I just sit and wait for the break.

Right on, Kev.


Even practical-minded Oscar didn't like the idea.




I also loved that, during his one day in power, Jim slowly evolved into a more Michael-like position. It kind of gives you an idea of how Michael became the character that he is.

After all, it's gotta be tougher than one might think to try and play moderator to an office full of picky employees. You can't please 'em all. Although, I think Jim's social skills would carry him further than Michael...or at least make him a more tolerable boss (and a cute a one at that).


Jim: Yup, Phyllis called me Michael. And I will always and forever be haunted by that fact.









Some of the scenes with Michael in the woods were fun and some fell flat. I did like the pants tent scene. (I'm embarrassed to say I didn't get the joke until earlier this week when someone mentioned it online. My mind just didn't go there for some reason, but obviously I think it's hilarious now).


Michael: Well if you take a look at this, I tented my pants. I've made myself a nice pants tent shelter.

The mushroom scene was pretty awesome, too.



Dwight: I will let harm befall him. I will even let him die. But I will never let him lose his dignity.






But the scene that really MADE this episode for me was the bonding moment between Jim and Michael at the very end. That was so adorably funny. Jim confesses his birthday mistake and Michael admits to having tried it himself at one point in the past. (Okay, actually this whole conversation is totally worth posting and it says it much better than I ever could. So here goes):



Jim: You did do it?
Michael: Uh huh. Yeah, just wait. Ten years, you'll figure it out.
Jim: Well, I don't think I'll be here in ten years.
Michael: That's what I said... That's what she said.
Jim: That's what who said?
Michael: I never know. I just say it. I say stuff like that, you know, to lighten the tension...When things sort of get hard.
Jim: That's what she said.
Michael: Hey! Nice. Really good. Bravo, my young ward.


For that scene alone, I can't dislike this episode. I don't know about you, but it certainly left me satisfied and smiling.


Cordially,
CayceAquaSheep

No comments: